A child dies every 5 minutes as a result of violence and abuse. Almost 200 million children have been victims of sexual abuse. Disabled children are between three or four times more likely to be subjected to violence and neglect. An estimated 246 million children are harassed and abused on the way to or at school.
An important element of Help a Child’s Disaster Response Strategy is to make sure that children and other vulnerable people are protected from further harm. We want to make sure that the rights of children are understood, protected and fulfilled. Our main activities are:
- To mainstream child protection within disaster response projects
- To strengthen community-based child protection structures
- Apply and facilitate case management for children with urgent protection needs
- Support communities to create safe and child-friendly spaces
- Family Strengthening through psycho-social and parental support
- Addressing Sexual and Gender Based Violence